Wednesday 19 June 2013

Whin Rigg & Illgill Head

8 June 2013

With Suzanne back in the US I'm back to fell walking. The forecast was for sunshine and warm temperatures so I decided to try something just a bit more challenging. A two-fer!


Whin Rigg and Illgill Head both overlook Wastwater on its south side, with Whin Rigg to the west of Illgill Head and moorland connecting them. For the effort of climbing one I can easily walk to the other. While I could have walked to the trail head that would have added another 3 miles each way, and given the fell walk itself was supposed to be more than 7 miles, I didn't want to overdo it, especially if it were hot out. In the photo above I'm facing east so Illgill Head is left, and Whinn Rigg is in the center.

Initially the walk was very easy. The first mile is approaching the gill (steep gulley with a stream in it) and the trail just to its left. In this picture of Whin Rigg (on the left) the gill is the one with the trees in it in center and climbing to the right.


My path is left from here to go around the pasture.


It was an easy walk, a steady rise that was exercise, but not tiring. Hen I hit the gill.


It was a pretty steep hike up, not a climb but sometimes I thought it might be easier to be on my hands and knees! Of course, to add insult some guy came down at a run...really?


This is a view of Wastwater as I headed up.


At the top of Whin Rigg. That's Scafell off my left shoulder. Illgill Head is directly behind me.


The view back towards Whin Rigg from Illgill Head. Nothing special about the walk across the moorlands, other than it seemed every time I hit a rise, I'd see another to go before I got to Illgill Head. It was much farther away than it looked!


The cairn that marks the top. Obviously a very flat top...


This is NOT a way down! But that is looking across the valley towards Buckbarrow.


This little guy is the only color other than brown, green and gray up on the fells. The flower is about the size of your pinky finger nail.

7.7 miles, 480m (Whin Rigg) & 609m (Illgill Head), 4 hours

Until next time...



No comments: