Saturday 1 June 2013

Hardknott Pass

28 May 2013

After spending our Monday at indoor shopping venues (ok, groceries) Suzanne and I decided we would do the English thing and just head out into the wet day anyway on Tuesday.

As it turned out, the rain held off until late in the day, but otherwise it was overcast--I'll take it!

We ambled over to Ambleside, which is a town on the eastern side of the Lake District. From Gosforth we could either drive north or south around the mountains, or via Hardknott Pass due east. We chose the eastern route as it meant a pretty drive through the fells, past an old Roman fort.

We missed the fort, after we got home we looked online to see how we could have missed it, and realized where it was. No signs about, but there was a wide spot in the single lane fell road to "park" near the fort and walk up the fell to it, what appears to be about 100 yards or so. I did learn online that the road we were on was a Roman road, used to resupply the fort from the Ravenglass port just south of Gosforth. I'll go back and try again soon...

We did stop and see some English Bluebells. A very pretty, small flower shaped like a champaign flute.

They were all over the forest as we approached the open fell area.

The road was narrow, winding and a bit nerve wracking; I had to drive very slow the whole way. I didn't stop to take any more pictures, and by the time we got to Ambleside the rain had started, so I didn't want to damage my camera.

We had lunch at Lucy's, a place recommended to us and I have to second that. Very nice, we had a chocolate cake for a sweet after lunch there that was not sweet but very chocolatey.

For the drive home we chose the much quicker northern route, stopping by Grasmere for some gingerbread. Definitely very gingery. Not something I've had in the US at all. Was it good? Yes, but different.

Until next time...


No comments: