Thursday 27 June 2013

Hardknott via Border End

16 June 2013

Since my last walk was so successful as a two-fer, I (sort of) decided to try another. Actually, my objective was to take it easy, as the weather was supposed to be wet and a bit chilly, plus I wanted to find that Roman fort Suzanne and I missed during our drive through Hardknott Pass.

Hardknott is a fell overlooking the pass by the same name, it's south of me by two valleys -- I live in the valley with Wastwater, Eskdale is the next valley and Hardknott is the valley following Eskdale. With each set of fells I've walked, I've moved south. First Buckbarrow, then Whin Rigg, Boat How, now Hardknott. (By the way, "how" is Gaelic for hill, so I'm told...)


This time around, the fort was easy to find. The first time we missed it because from the west it's not obvious, but from the east you can see it as you approach. The first bit of walk is up a 30% grade road (the old Roman road) and my legs felt every percent! I had to park nearly 3/4 mile away, so it was a bit of a hike.


Once at the fort it is impressive. The remaining foundation/walls are still 6 feet 6 inches high. Originally much higher, the stones were used for other purposes. In the 1960's archeologists found a corner stone of sorts that was in-scripted with when and who built the fort - during Emperor Hadrian's reign (120 AD) and by the 6th Cohort of Dalmatians (modern day Croatians).

The foundations of the Commander's house and administration buildings are still there, as is the remains of the bath house. Behind the fort, and slightly below it are a series of small pits, with some stones around them...I think they may be latrines!

From the fort I headed up Border End, the fell overlooking the fort. East of Border End is Hardknott fell, connected by a short ridge-line.


Border End is steep, and the trail is not well marked, but I studied it a bit and it was obvious I need to stay left to get to the top...I should have remembered that later on!

The views were spectacular as I made my way up the fell side. This is looking north across the river Esk.


I walked up, sort of finding my way as there was no real trail like most fells. I reached a point where I though I would have to quit, because it got so steep! Way beyond my skills...


So I took a break, had a snack and some water and took a few pictures. This first one is looking west towards Ravenglass (the Roman port) and the Irish Sea. That's the Hardknott Roman fort in the foreground.


Here's a close up of the fort ruins. In the center is the administrative building, above is the Commander's house and below is storage. The ruin to the lower left, with the circle, is the bath house.


This view is looking north towards Whin Rigg (on left) and Illgill Head (on right).


While hard to tell, the dark craggy area at right center is Buckbarrow.


This is from Hardknott, looking over to the northeast at Scafell. Just to the right (in the cloud) is Scafell Pike, the highest peak in England.


This shot is the cairn on Hardknott, with the cairn of Border End in the distance to the left and Scafell to the right.


And of course it wouldn't be right to leave out the self picture...I didn't realize there was grass in front of the lens!


Hardknott 552 meters; 4 miles, 3.5 hours.

Until next time...


No comments: