Sunday 14 April 2013

Settling In


Hello everyone!

I've been here just over a week, getting settled in. Work won't be too hard, and I certainly cannot complain of the location. 

I was able to get a house quickly. The company leases a number of homes locally and one was vacant; it had been vacant for a few weeks and they were in the process of letting it go. I asked to see it because it is close to the plant. Much too big for one person, but in order to get the things I wanted: garage, 2 bedrooms, office, close to plant; my choices were either a 4 bedroom now or find something myself. It's actually very nice. Modern and more like an American home, albeit small by US standards. The bedrooms are not much larger than the beds. 

Here's a photo of Gosforth, looking to the NW. The Irish Sea is off in the misty distance.  My work site is just around that rise to the right, about 5 miles away. 



Reminds me much of a combination of Maine, Monterrey and Kentucky. Lots of hills, stone walls, sheep and dairy cattle. The roads are narrow, most are based on ancient Roman cart paths. 

The company provided me a car. After just 3 hours of training they set me loose!  I've only scared myself once, coming around a corner only to find a tractor coming at me and nowhere to go!  Later yesterday while driving to Windemere to find a hobby shop I had to squeeze between a stone wall and a full sized bus. I could see the driver's nose hairs and I'm sure he could hear my language!  No scrapes yet but there could not have been an inch between all the mirrors. Night driving is really bad--notice in the photo no street lights. With all the stone walls and hedgerows you can't see the lights of other cars until they are on top of you. The speed limit may be 60 but most folks are doing 30-40 (and I'm doing 20!). 

Until next time.  


No comments: