Sunday 14 April 2013

Assignment Cumbria

After I retired from the US Navy I accepted a position with URS, a global company but more importantly it provides services to the DoD. I was hired to help develop business with Navy, and more specifically NAS Patuxent River. One of the attractive features of URS was its presence in the UK. Suzanne and I hoped an opportunity to work there would be a possibility.

About a year into my business development assignment, I realized with the US government's budgetary concerns that I would need to move to operations; any assignments contributing to overhead costs would be at risk...not just with URS but any company providing support to DoD. I active began working on a transition plan that would eventually put me in operations, directly supporting the customer, and no more overhead.

In October, 2012, I was asked to help with finding someone for a couple of positions in the UK. The positions were created in response to cyber security enhancements that would be needed; the Program Manager position appeared to have been written with my experience in mind!  Although certainly not the case (most in the company were not aware of my résumé) I submitted my name as the Program Manager. By late October I had been selected.

After Visas, security clearances and other paperwork was completed, I reported in late February for work. I packed my bikes, sailing gear and modeling tools, plus over 40 kits and most of my references. Off to Cumbria, the Lakes and new adventures!

Until next time...


No comments: