Sunday 14 April 2013

RAF Cosford

April 7th, 2013

On the modeling front I want to hit some sort of competition every few weeks. February had one down in Bolton that was close, and in April it was Cosford. It's held at the RAF Museum in Cosford. So I get the added bonus of real historical aircraft added to models, and possible trading tables where I can find kits real cheap.

From here Cosford is about 3 and half hours away. That's the limit for a day drive, and considering I typically stay only a couple of hours at one of these makes for a 10-12 hour day. So loaded up with cash and a full tank of petrol I headed south.


The drive was easy, parking free and entry free. How much better can it be?  It turns out the RAF still use Cosford as a training base; the cadets were flying gliders and basic trainers that were really just gliders with an engine.

The show was okay, not something for me to drool over but I had fun. I liked looking at both the models and the aircraft. Some were much bigger than I thought they'd be. The did of course have a Spitfire, and here's the confirming picture.


They also had a model display of every Lancaster bomber modified for the dam busting raids, this being the 70th Anniversary in May. The kits are brand new moldings, all the rage on the boards (if you follow those things) so I got me one ordered...should be here in a few days.

At the end of the day I'd picked up 2 models, 3 books and 5 sets of aftermarket bits to upgrade or modify a kit I already have. MU pack loaded and my wallet empty it was time to head home.

Until next time...

No comments: