Friday 11 July 2014

Castle Crag

22 June 2014

Up in the north of the Lake District is a pretty valley that looks upon Castle Crag.  Castle Crag is just an outcropping of rick up at the top of a hill (while called a fell, it has trees about so is technically not a fell).



As I headed up the below view started to form.  


Looking out on the valley at a nice switchback.  It was very muggy that day and as I was headed up my shirt got soaked; by this time I was drinking lots of water.


About two thirds up the full valley was visible.


I could now start to see to the north east.  That trail is what I'll follow back as I go around the other hill. to the left.  But first I have to keep going up the fell.


Behind me is Castle Crag at the very top.  That pile of spoil is from slate mining that used to occur here.  The trail up actually follows the to the left and on the spoil pile.


Whew!  Finally at the top and looking south towards Derwent Water.  The river flowing into it is the River Derwent.


Of course, I saw these flowers along the way.  Each one is about the size of a pea.



Over towards the next fell (I have to walk the tail around it on the right to get back) I could hear a Coo Coo.  A classic coo coo click sounds just like them!  And for all these years I just assumed it was a sound chosen because it was different and easily recognized.  Obviously our Brown Coocoo (I've seen them near home in Maryland) sound quite different.



Not much special on that trail out in the open, other than it was quiet.  Below is some rocks in the forest as I neared the end of the walk that are covered in moss.  Lot's of moss around here...


More moss covered walls.  I can't get enough of the beauty here.


The "river" Derwent.  Well, at least before it gets to the water also named for it.  Below the water it really is a river, albeit not a large one.


A simple rose...


The end of my walk is a crossing of stepping stones across the river.  Probably more useful on a wet day with more water flowing in the river.


Until next time...




No comments: