Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Back Yard

27 August 2013

Sometimes you don't have to far to see some great things. Recently I was out back, checking my apples, when I realized there was a lot going on out in a very small garden (which is what the Brits call their small areas about the house). Some folks plant grass, others plant flowers and shrubs. My little cottage in the village has a bit of everything because one of the previous expats who lived here liked to garden. 


This is my apple tree. No idea what kind but they are just starting to ripen. I pick one each day and cut it up as a dessert. 

A close up of the apples, tart like a Macintosh. And crisp.


Next are a couple of hydrangeas. Big bushes but you are seeing the only flowers! Since everything was pruned back when I got here, I suspect I have blooms only because the pruner forgot some stems. I seem to remember that you only get blooms on last year's growth, or some such.


On my butterfly bush is some sort of bug...not a butterfly or moth but interesting to look at. She has a long proboscis and is just eating as much nectar as she can. Have at it!


I have no idea what this one is, but the flower is pretty. It grows wild near the hedgerows.


This seems to be another hydrangea, or at least related. The leaves are similar as is the flower. But it looks a bit sick.


Until next time...


No comments: