Sunday 4 August 2013

Not quite there...

Saturday, 27 July 2013

The weekend looked bleak, except for Saturday morning. So I decided to make it a relatively short walk around the fell called Haystacks. According to my guidebook it's an easy climb of less than a mile distance and then a bit of flat walking around with lots of good color this time of year. Sounds like a winner!

Haystacks is located just north of me, next village up the A595, then take the road to Ennerdale Water via Cold Fell. Park at the designated spot and then walk up the road a short distance, that's the base and start up one of 3 trails.

Way too easy...and of course I gooned it.

The parking area was well place, right on the north side of Ennerdale Water. According to the map the gravel road goes past two hostels then the trail starts up Haystacks. Distances were obviously a bit off, as I was to find.



The above is looking south towards Crag Fell, which I'd climbed earlier in the year.


Some of the gravel road was via the woods, actually a very pretty walk.


There was a river flowing into Ennerdale, the walk basically followed it up towards the base of Haystacks.

The water was crystal clear.



I've no idea what this flower is. But it's pretty and they are all over the place. I didn't see any today, but sometimes on drives (without my camera of course) I'll see a small field of them. A pink/purple carpet on a green base.


Ultimately I never made it to Haystacks. After 2 hours of walking and at about 2.5 miles up the gravel road I finally made the hostels. Which by my map (if to scale) meant I had at least another 2.5 miles to get to the base. If I was to walk Haystacks today it would be 13-15 miles of walking! Nope, I'm not feelin' it.

So I headed back down the road to the car. Good thing, by the time I got back to the house just 30 minutes away, it started raining. And it rained hard until Monday afternoon.

Until next time...


No comments: