Sunday 12 May 2013

Seascale

12 May 2013

The forecast for this weekend was poor.  Cold, windy, rain on Saturday and with only some opportunity for dry weather on Sunday morning.  So out I went this morning and looking up at the fells they were surrounded in fog/clouds, which is 1) not safe when it's cold, and 2) usually wet.  This is actually looking over at the fells.
So I again decided to stay low and flat for my hike.  Seascale is on the Irish Sea, about 3 miles from Gosforth.

The walk was okay, I won't do this route again simply because the traffic was too much even for a Sunday morning.  Remember, the roads are narrow and speed limits are 60!  I had to step off every few yards to allow cars to pass.

As I entered Seascale the sea breeze brought a great smell.  Something about the smell of the sea...


By the time I got to the beach, it began to sprinkle; a warning of what was to come. I did snap these pictures and watched the dogs enjoy themselves. The tide was out so I walked down to a couple of pools. Not much there but these long shells. I've never seen anything like these, but my guess is tube worms.



Since it was getting wet I put my camera away and started walking back. As I left Seascale the smell of the land returned. Now I know why, even when there is a strong breeze from the beach, why it still smells like the land just 3 miles in: the sheep and cattle! I had grown accustomed to their smell but as I walked back from the beach and their smell overcame the smell of the sea it's obvious why up in Gosforth it's like being in the middle of Iowa (smell wise anyway). I did pull out my waterproof camera (not very good quality) and shot this view of Buckbarrow as I returned.



 Until next time...



No comments: